Thursday, December 2, 2010

Like Father like son... literally though!

Laughed my butt off while reading this!! unlike most short stories, this one has no unfortunate ending. In fact, it has a happy one because the mother thanks the son for being wasted!! I love the metal process of the son as he is drinking, middle of 346-347. "I was still thirsty. I saw i could reach the pint... It looked as if he had never drank lemonade before." (347). I nearly cried when i read this. Even when the dad is trying to ignore the beer, he tells his son to go play in the street!! honestly though, it took me a few reads to understand the significance of this humor. But personally, i feel that the son is the father's drinking issue. He ignores them both, and he must drag the son home, instead of himself while he carries the drunkenness on his back. The son tries to help his problems by drinking the beer, but just like when he dad drinks, the problems just get worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment