Monday, December 13, 2010

Adaptation

Plot
If you know me and my writing, the pattern that arises is darkness and death. Please do not ask me why, just every since 6th grade dark writing has just been easy for me to write about. Anyway the story that interested me, and actually made me laugh the most, was “once Upon a Time”. The ending is just so fitting, as I feel like my parents are that over protective. The story in movie form would start off the same way with the writer in her house, struggling to sleep. After showing why she is struggling, with all the rimes outside, the movie will move to her reading the letters asking her to write a children’s story. After some movie action later, round 25 minutes into the movie, she will walk into her room, and begin writing a children’s story. The story would start right after the ‘happily ever after’ couple gets married, and eventually movie into where the writer’s story starts. From there it will follow virtually the same plot, only adding some events to keep the story going. All in all it will end the same way, with the writer finally falling into a fitful slumber. Personally, I think it needs more action and people getting hurt by the parents over protectiveness.

Setting
Same setting. The movie would need to have the exact same setting as the story. The setting, with the dangerous neighborhoods and over protected houses, is the whole basis of the theme. I do think the theme should be anywhere from 1955- the present. The time period doesn’t matter at all, only the place and neighborhoods matter. The story aspect though, should be like the dreamy, unrealistic, “perfect” world. This makes the ending oh so much more fulfilling in my movie.

Point of view
The point of view of the movie would be identical to the one of Shawshank Redemption, with the writer narrating the story that is going on, but you do not hear her talk the entire time. Only moments out of the movie does Red ever speak, but we now that the entire time he is still narrating. The omniscient third person, sort of passive narrator, would be perfect for the role of the story that this is. I love how Red keeps out of the story, but at the same time is controlling the course of the story.

Characterization
Ok well I do not really know what to write here. I mean the parents and the “perfect” family would have to be looking their best and creepily smiling the entire movie. I think that Keaton would be the best Dad in the movie, with Cody being the child, and Katie English being the mother. The writer was a little more difficult, but I think that Kahle would be a good writer for the story. Tito Ortiz is, just because we are racist with him, the gardener of the happy little tale. The narrator would be Taylor Shackleford. The reason I cast these people is because they have the qualities that I feel would be ideal for this story in movie form.

Theme
The theme in this story is a favorite of mine. Over protection is more dangerous than little protection at all. Sure everyone needs a small amount of protection, but the extreme will have adverse side effects. The movie would show a much better example of this overprotection than the story does. The story does describe the protection taken by the parents, but in the movie the measures taken will be extremely obvious and taken the extreme. And I mean EXTREME. It will be hilarious how out of proportion the measures will be. This will emphasize the theme even more so then the story does. Plus the goriness of the child in the end will finally hit home the grotesqueness of this ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment