Friday, July 9, 2010

April fool's day came early

Holding a grudge can be a risky business. Especially when tensions are as high as a war situation. Everyone can say they have been afraid of the dark at one point of another in their life. I never was... that is, until I saw Paranormal Activity. Now I can barely go in my basement without looking over my shoulder at night. The dark is mysterious, it is potentially dangerous. Human beings, the majority anyway, are terrified of what they do not know or understand.
O'Brien feels betrayed and he seeks to find some self justice by attacking Jorgenson where it will hurt him the most... by playing with his darkest fears. "I've pulled enough night guard to know how the fear factor gets multiplied as you sit there hour after hour." (O'Brien 195). I feel that personally this would be horrible revenge, and of course it backfires in the end. Jorgenson is not terrorized, and O'Brien has a panic attack halfway through the plan. If someone truly wishes revenge, they need to give the other person a taste of their own medicine. But, because I have not been to war, I have not experienced Vietnam, I can not say if for the people that have been there, this is a reliable sense of revenge.

2 comments:

  1. I thought this whole revenge section was pretty disturbing. I didn't expect O'Brien to hold on to that anger/bitterness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not inferring that the scene wasn't disturbing, i am saying the revenge plan was a total failure for wat O'Brien was hoping for.

    ReplyDelete