Thursday, July 8, 2010

Wait... What?!

Personally my favorite literary technique is situational irony. It combines suspense and foreshadowing, but in a convoluted way. Situational irony is when the reader suspensefully awaits to see if their foreshadowing is correct of not, and it is always wrong. If my foreshadowing is correct, i tend to think 'well if i could come up with that, why did i buy this book instead of writing it?'
Readers like to be surprised. They like to be blown away with an outcome. That is one of the many reasons Shakespeare is still revered to this day. "Man you must be deaf. She is already gone" (O'Brien 107). When I came to this part of the story, I thought for sure the girl was going to end up dead in the end. I never for a second thought she would join the green berets and then run away into the wilderness. Personally, I loved the surprise when it came. Having your own conclusion gives one a little self confidence, but being proven wrong keeps one interested.

1 comment: